Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Winter Running 101

Tonight I started the Winter Running 101 5K Training Program. It's a program designed to get me to the starting line of the YMCA 5K run in 11 weeks...without injury, (hence the name 5k training program).

Tonight went well, despite it being the coldest day of the year so far! I was stressing that I would be the last person to finish, but there wasn't a last person. We all started a 5 minute warm-up walk, and then a 1 minute run. At the end of 1 minute, the person in front walked to back to the last person and everyone followed and walked for 4 minutes. We did this 7 times.

This may not seem like a lot for someone reading this, but it is a Running 101 program, for the very beginner. There were all different levels of fitness, young and old (the oldest was 69 years- old), and varying weights.

This group will meet once a week and have two prescribed runs to do during the week. I think I'll be able to hang with this group for the next 11 weeks.

No comments: