Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's the Principle

School has been in sessions for exactly 2 weeks and 4 days, and already I'm annoyed. Today they school has sent home a flippin' Fundraiser packet. You know the kind I'm talking about; it's the kind that they furnish a catalog filled with crap, and not just any crap, but expensive crap. The kids are supposed to pedal this crap to friends, family and I'm supposed to ask my co-workers to buy this expensive crap.

This alone would normally be enough to annoy me. But add the fact that these fundraiser "people" dangle prizes in front of the kids with impossible goals to reach, it's just not fair to the kids. So, this fundraiser is dangling the prize of having a BMX team come to the school and perform, but only for the kids that sell at least 5 items. How can this be right/fair? What about the kids that don't have family around (like us for example)? What about the families that are barely hanging on by a thread and just can't afford this expensive crap? Or that have 2 or 3 children at the school. Should these children not be allowed to participate in the performance?

This is not fair and just on principle I don't want any part of this, but my son does and I don't want him to feel left out, so I will have to spend at least $50.00 on crap that I don't want.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I feel this is blackmail. Believe me this is not over!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Gosh, I hear you! Our school does the same thing with those darn catalogs ... junk, junk & more junk. And, the price is ridiculous for the shrunken version that you end up receiving! I personally prefer fundraisers that are more creative, such as community cookbooks or something. I am so fet up with fundraisers attacking us parents from every avenue - sport/activity/school! UGH! You're not alone, Girlie! I understand the necessity with some organizations; however, many of these fundraisers pay for things that our children really do not need (i.e., little tokens that get tossed in the trash, trophies for PARTICIPATION - have you ever heard of such a thing?!, etc.) What is going to become of our children who think that they should be receiving something in return for just showing up? I worry about what the future holds for this generation ...